Saturday, January 25, 2014

Standing Firm in the Faith

Two weeks.  One leukemia diagnosis.  Three chemotherapy treatments.  Two bone marrow aspirations.  Two lumbar punctures (spinal taps) with added chemotherapy. That's quite a bit for anyone to go through, much less a 13-year-old girl.

On the ride home from a very long clinic/procedure day, Boyce and I talked with a degree of amazement at the fact that it had only been two weeks since our lives were forever changed.  It has been an absolute whirlwind of a time, yet as fast as things are moving, we can slow down enough to see the mighty work God is doing in our family.

Determination.  Endurance.  Strength.  These traits are not simply words--they are part of my everyday life as related to family, career, running--the list goes on.  However, since this journey began, God has found ways to 'repurpose' these traits and give them even more significance.

A Family Determined to Fight the Battle
Determination.  Perseverance.  I liken it to stubbornness--at least where my family is concerned!  We are determined to stand firm in the faith that God will deliver Paige through this battle with leukemia.  We will persevere through the tough times because we know the outcome will be glorious.
…In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

Endurance.  The ability to do something difficult for a long time.  I exhibit endurance in running events, and I can set my focus on a project for school or work and not stop until it's complete--but that's nothing compared to what I see in my daughter as she takes on cancer.  Even on a night she's not feeling her best, she refuses to dwell on it.  Knowing this is going to be a long battle, she simply sets her focus on resting up for what the next day will bring and moves forward.
…suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope.  Romans 5:3-4

Strength.  Resilience.  Spirit.  I could list every synonym and still not find enough words to describe the incredible strength Paige is showing during this time.  To say she inspires me is an understatement--the girl simply amazes and astounds me!  She takes in everything the doctors and nurses tell her and follows through with everything they ask of her.  In just two weeks, she has really bonded with some of her oncology doctors--have you ever had a doctor bring you ice cream?  :)
Fear not, for I am with you…I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:10

Two weeks ago our lives changed forever--and for the better.  We put our daughter and her diagnosis completely in the hands of our Heavenly Father.  Because of this great step of faith, He gave us an even greater sense of peace.  God will bring Paige through this battle even stronger and more amazing than she already is!

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Romans 12:12 

No comments:

Post a Comment