Sunday, February 23, 2014

Old Hymn Hits Home

Needless to say, the last six weeks have been a whirlwind of hospital visits, medications, procedures, and transfusions--whew!  Sometimes it seems as though I barely have time to take a breath.  An email from a friend just a few days ago gave me that chance.

Her wonderfully encouraging message began by letting me know she prays for our family on a daily basis.  Her kind words served to lift me up after a very long day at the hospital.  That would have been enough to 'fill me up' for the day, but then...she shared the second verse and chorus of an old hymn:

"How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy (s)he gives,
But greater still, the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives!

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives, all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives!"

And that did it.  Most days it seems I'm going..and going...and going--kind of like the Energizer bunny.  Simply reading the lyrics made me a little teary-eyed.  I really don't cry a whole lot right now--whether it's a lack of time or just the mindset of moving forward toward that goal of getting Paige healthy or something else altogether, I really can't say.  But these words did it--they just about put me in a puddle on the floor. :)

"Because He Lives" is one of my all-time favorite songs.  I remember my mom singing it as she played the piano in church.  I remember it being one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano myself.  When I became a mom, I sang it to Paige when I rocked her to sleep.  Now that I read and hear those familiar words during this season of my life, all I can say is "WOW!"  My child--and our family--can face uncertain days because He lives!

I am so thankful my friend felt led to message me that day.  She gave me a much needed chance to stop and breathe. :)

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith...  Hebrews 10:22

And this is the confidence that we have toward Him, that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us.  1 John 5:14

************************************

**Click here for a YouTube clip of these powerful words!

No comments:

Post a Comment