Sunday, August 31, 2014

No "What Ifs" Allowed

Paige is one of my heroes, and I know there are many who share this sentiment.  She has taken on this battle with such incredible bravery, it's mind-boggling at times.  Yes, my daughter is pretty tough--most of the time, anyway.  Occasionally, Paige takes off her superhero cape and shows her 'regular' side.  She cries.  She gets nervous about treatment.  She just plain gets scared.  This we can handle.  We talk.  We pray.  We move forward.

Once in a while, Regular Paige pushes Super Paige out of the way and starts talking about the 'what ifs.'  She has gotten more comfortable talking about all kinds of things with me.  As the mom of a 14-year-old girl, I love that!  However, I have found that I have to draw the line at 'what ifs'--What if we would have waited one more day to go to the doctor?  What if I weren't here right now?--things of that nature.

Don't get me wrong--this journey has been difficult.  I have lost count of the number of times I've felt like someone knocked the wind out of me.  My heart races for a few seconds as I catch my breath and push away thoughts that are not good for any of us.  I say a prayer and focus on the day at hand.  Not on yesterday.  Certainly not on events from 8 months ago.

That was when our family decided to leave our worry and fear at the feet of God.  To let His will be done in our lives.  To trust Him to get every one of us through this unimaginable experience.  We praise Him through the good days and the not-so-good days, and our family has grown in so many ways because of it.  Stronger in our faith.  Trusting in God's perfect plan.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.   Philippians 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment