Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Faithful Friends

"A friend loves at all times..."  Over the last several months, our family has seen this verse lived out in numerous ways.  Phone calls and texts to check on us.  Cards with words of encouragement.  Dinner delivered after long days at clinic.  The list goes on.  These acts of kindness lifted our spirits on some pretty rough days, and we are so thankful for this outpouring of love and support from our friends.  Today I want to focus on one friendship in particular--that of Paige and her best friend, Kassie.

During a recent visit, I asked each girl to tell me a little about their friendship.  I didn't give them specific parameters because I wanted genuine, unprompted responses.  The only stipulation was that they could not discuss their replies.  Asking these girls not to talk to each other for a few minutes was apparently akin to some kind of torture--at least, that's the vibe I got.  They eventually forgave me for the forced silence and offered some unique thoughts on their friendship.

"Kassie and I have been friends for almost 4 years, and she understands me in ways that other people can't." - Paige

Paige's words could not be more true.  These girls have a communication style all their own--and it only makes their friendship stronger.  According to Paige, they "fight, laugh, and cry for a bunch of random reasons."  Their time together usually consists of laughter and just plain silliness.  "Crazy inside jokes" and a shared passion for all things food-related combine to form a friendship as unique as the girls themselves. 

"Our friendship means the world to me, and I don't know where I would be if we weren't friends." - Kassie

Paige's leukemia diagnosis did not weaken this bond.  In fact, it only served to strengthen this friendship.  The first few months were particularly tough on Paige--physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Friends would check on her to see how things were going, but she wasn't always up to replying.  Kassie understood that when Paige didn't immediately respond, it meant she wasn't feeling well.  She knew Paige would eventually reply, and Paige knew she could always count on her friend. 

"She has been right next to me through all of this." - Paige

"I love Paige to pieces, and I'm pretty sure she loves me just as much!" - Kassie

As a mom, I love that Paige has a friend who helps her 'forget' the leukemia and chemotherapy stuff--even for just a little while.  These girls are pretty terrific, and I feel fortunate to have a front row seat to this great friendship!  I have a feeling this will be one of those bonds that lasts a very long time! 

*****************************

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up...   1 Thessalonians 5:11


No comments:

Post a Comment