Saturday, November 29, 2014

Giving Thanks EVERY Day

Giving thanks always and for everything...   Ephesians 5:20

Thanksgiving Day 2014.  Parades.  Family.  Too much good food.  Giving thanks for our many blessings.  Sounds pretty typical, right?  It's been our norm for as long as I can remember.  This year, however, was different.  For our family, thankfulness took on a whole new meaning.  Hit a whole new level.  I knew it was going to hit me at some point--I just didn't realize it would hit when I was praying before our meal.

Lord, we thank you for this day.  We thank you for this time to gather together as a family... Then I lost it.  I held on to Paige and eventually made it through what seemed like the longest prayer ever.  I am not usually one to find myself at a loss for words--in fact, I had plenty to say.  I was just completely overwhelmed.  Our gathering was at home, not a hospital room.  Paige was able to eat--anything she wanted--and didn't have to add anti-nausea meds to the mix.  There was eating.  There was laughing.  And my girl was right in the middle of it all.

I have always been thankful for the blessings God has given me, but this year has taught me what it means to be truly, wholly thankful.  Not just one day, but every single day.  Thankful for God's love, mercy, and amazing grace--that I have seen in abundance over the last ten months.  Thankful He gave me an incredible family growing in strength and faith all the time.  Thankful for the healing happening in my daughter--and the hope for her spectacular future.

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts...and with my song I give thanks to Him.   Psalm 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment