Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day Musings

Today marks four months since Paige's leukemia diagnosis.  Four months since I came to the realization I could not fix what was wrong with my baby girl.  As a mother, I don't know that I have ever experienced a more helpless, fall-to-my-knees kind of feeling.  Handing this over to God was the best--and to me, the only--decision.  He has since given me peace that Paige will be healed, hope that is renewed each day, and strength that surpasses anything I could have on my own.  Our journey is not an easy one, but it will end in victory!

****************************

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  For the last several years, our family has followed a schedule of sorts: give Mom her gift(s), go to church and lunch together, and top it off with a visit to Grandma's house.  I love working with the kids to be creative with Grandma's gifts--last year we even combined a few apps to create a pretty great video greeting.

Confession time: Mother's Day sort of snuck up on me this year.  Our usual routine is not possible due to our current circumstances.  Paige, Jeremy, and I were able to do some online shopping for Grandma's gift a few weeks ago and agreed on something we knew she would like.  However, there is no crafty card, no techie treasure to send her way.  We simply ran out of time.  Chemotherapy treatments, hospitalizations, and scary adverse reactions have consumed much of our time the last several weeks.  Funny thing, though...I have this feeling my mom will understand.

Like most mothers, she doesn't expect--nor does she want--a big fuss made over one day on the calendar.  It's the day-to-day things that make my mom smile, that show her she is loved by her children and grandchildren.  Texts to check in.  A picture drawn just for her.  Kids begging to spend the night or bake snickerdoodle cookies with her.  These are year-round gifts, and I know they mean the world to my mom.

****************************

I thank God for my mother.  I admire her perseverance in the midst of storms that have come her way.  She exemplifies strength and a fierce love for her family, traits no doubt handed down from her own mother.    She is amazing.  She is my hero.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom! 

1 comment: